Sunday, September 29, 2013

Blog Post #2: White Ghost Girls

White Ghost Girls
Author: Alice Greenway
Genre: Young Adult Fiction: Multicultural
Pages: 22% (kindle doesn't give page numbers)

Summary: In chapter four to the end of chapter seven, Kate explains how their father covers the walls of the laundry room with pictures of the wars he reported on and how their mom has a picture of them dressed to go to church. In chapter four we also meet Ah Bing, their nanny and housekeeper. In the 5th, 6th, and 7th chapter, she explains how their mom makes them wear white cotton dresses with gloves to go to church and how much Frankie hates it. When they go to church in their olive-green car they pass Mao and his Red Guards. In the church Frankie makes a fool of herself and gets slapped by her mom :(. We also meet a boy that goes to Kate's school but that is deaf. I think that Kate has a certain liking for him but i'm not sure.

What do you expect for your continued reading?
I think Kate will introduce other characters and the conflict will start. 

Did what you expected to happen last time happen?
No. Last time I expected the conflict to start but it didn't. Instead I got a bigger feel for the characters.

Passage Section:
"I asked my father what he thought of when his helicopter was hit. Did he think he was going to die?
     'I thought of your mother,' he said. ' I thought about the first time she came to visit the farm in Vermont. She was sitting on the porch swing. She was wearing sandals and eating a crab sandwich.' " 

That quote really marked me in a way because he remembers every detail of that special moment. Like when you're going to die you have a flashback of your most precious memory. For some reason I think he is going to die.


No comments:

Post a Comment