Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Book Thief








Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Genre: Historic Fiction
Pages: 552

So right now I am reading the Book Thief, this is my second blog post about it. So just a recap of my last blog, Liesel is a 11 year old girl living in Munich with her foster parents, and they have a jew named Max hiding in there basement.

Liesel and Max are actually more alike then what they think. First they both traveled to Munic by train, they had both loved someone dearly, they have night mares each and every night, the both are fighters and the love books. So Liesel and Max both traveled on a train to Munich with worried and ancious thoughts. They have also lost two people in their lives that really meant a lot to them, Max had lost his father in the war and Liesel's brother had died on the train. And because of both these incidents they each both have nightmares every night and will wake up petrified. They are fighters, Max as he grew up he was a person who would literlly just want to fight people and he did not really know why he just did. And his enemy who is now his friend is who he fought the most. Liesel at school got into a fight with one of the boys who was making fun of her and she gave his a bloody nose and much more. And lastly the both love to read books. They each love the power within the words and the feeling of turning the pages and going onto the next.

So when Max came, Liesel thought he was quiet strange but they began to know each other. In the middle of the night now when they had a nightmare and had both woken up they would share their nightmares and tell what they had seen. Max now also because the basement is so cold during the night he is allowed to come sleep upstairs by the fire. Liesel has now turned 12 and for her birthday she got 2 books from her mother and father. Max feels bad that he did not get her anything but Liesel go's up to him and gives him a hug and says that he gave the best prsent of being here. Then a few days later Max tells Liesel to come down stairs he has a surpirise for her. He has made her a book, it is about the Max how he felt so alone and forgotten but when he came to Munich he was in open arms and as he stayed longer he started to make his first new friend and that was, Liesel.

The chapter I have just finished has really scared me because it has to do with Rudy. Of course the chapter starts of with Rudy saying, "How about a kiss?" But of course Liesel has turned him down. But this chapter is not telling the story in present it is actually all for shadowing which I find very interesting. But why I find this very sad is because I have found out this,

" In your visions, you see the sloppy edges of paper still stuck to his fingers. You see a shivering blone fringe. Preemtively, you conclude, as I would, that Rudy died that very same day, of Hypothermia." (Zusak 242).

And then another sad quote, well to me more bitter sweet, " He'd have been glad to witness her kissing his dusty, bomb-hit lips.
Yes, I know it.
In the darkness of my dark beating heart, I know. He'd have loved it, all right.
You see?
Even death has a heart" (Zusak 242).

So I really wonder why the author is telling me this, why he is telling me this will happen? I recommend this book to someone who likes historical fiction novels but also wants to read something different, in a different way. Because if you do this book is defiantly the book for you, so read The Book Thief.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to buy and read this book, sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete