Sunday, November 18, 2012

Alex's Blog Post Week 4

Title: Demonata Series Book One: Lord Loss
Author: Darren Shan
Pages: 224/224
Genre: Teenage Horror

For starters; I know it isn't the historic fiction book. This is something else I've read separately, and so I can write another Blog Post this week as well if you wish, Mrs. Hancock. :-D

This book was given as a birthday present from an old friend and I haven't read it till recently; It turns out to be a thesis statement of a series: capturing and giving the reader a general idea of what the rest is going to be about.

The book starts off with Grubbs Grady, an Irish boy of a chess-obsessed Irish family. He goes to school, occasionally gets into trouble, plays pranks on his sister, and what "usual" kids his age do. Based on experience in the field and family on the inside, Grubbs is the stereotypical British boy who sort of needs a bit of attention. Darren Shan (Yes, that is how his name is spelt despite how possibly weird it may look) makes sure that those who will most likely buy it can relate to the main character so that they can go into the book better.
Just as his family starts giving him the attention he needs, those pesky demons (or Demonatas as they are referred to in the book) go ahead and turn his living room into a portal to hell and murder his family in what I found was the most graphic description of gore and guts that I have ever read in literature. After just escaping the Demonatas, he calls the police using a street phone and tells them that he witnessed genocide. The Demonata being the jerks that they are, go ahead and burn his house down, leaving only ash, charcoal, and bits of his dead family. The police try to find the Demonata thinking that they are just messed up humans, but they can't find them and their only witness is a traumatized mess who has hallucinations and can't fully distinguish his nightmares from reality, as both are equally frighting. Therefore, the authorities lock him up in a mental asylum without the padded walls, and just a straight jacket. He occasionally makes a mess on the walls and draws the Demonatas. You'll have to read the rest to find out what's next!

Just on a side note, I've written a short story that I would like you all to read and to comment on; enjoy: http://www.wattpad.com/9058297-the-inevitable

1 comment:

  1. I like how you talked about the book, and added a a site leading to your story you wrote! I read it, and I was amazed that you wrote it! I couldn't comment because I don't have twitter, or I don't know for what reason, but like Mr Mckenzie said, keep going!

    ReplyDelete