Sunday, November 6, 2011

Flush

Title: Flush
Author: Carl Hiaasen
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Comedy

     Flush by Carl Hiaasen is the story of Noah, an average kid with a not so average father. Dusty Muleman owns a gambling ship called the Coral Queen, which was recently sunk by Noah's dad on fear of environmental disruption. Of course, Noah's dad goes to jail and dusty is put on trial, but there's no proof of him causing any problems. Until Noah and his sister, Abby, discover a turtle dying of pollution. The beach where this turtle is at is filled to the brim with muck, no swimming or fun around here. And thus Noah sets out to save the sea and his dad's life at the same time. Some kid, huh?

     I didn't enjoy this book too much. Though it was extremely well written and very funny, It just wasn't my genre, and I've never liked realistic fiction. The story line was also quite flimsy at times, and I didn't know exactly where Hiaasen was going with it. Like "What's more important, his father or the environment?" That question came up many times in my head but was never really answered, so a loose end(which I hate). All in all I'd probably give the book a 2/10 simply because it was too easy to read and very flimsy.

1 comment: