Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Battle of the Sun

Title: The Battle of the Sun
Author: Jeanette Winterson
Genre:  Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Pages: 388

          This story is about a boy called Jack living in London in 1601.  One day, he is kidnapped and taken to this house where a powerful man called "Magus" and many other young boys live.  Magus is an alchemist who wants to turn the whole city of London to gold - golden dirt, golden houses, golden animals, golden people.  Golden everything.  He needs Jack because Jack is the "Radiant Boy" who will help him turn the city to gold.  However, Jack does not want to turn London to gold - he just wants to go home to his mother and his puppy.  The middle of the novel shows how Jack meets many strange creatures, at the Magus' house, and how he tries to escape.  In the end, he absorbs the power of a very powerful, but very ancient king, and so becomes the equal and rival of the Magus.  In his first fight with the alchemist, he accidentally gives some of his power to him, and the Magus is finally able to turn London into gold.  It starts out with simple objects like pebbles and dirt.  In this stage, he turns friends into enemies and family against each other because of their greed for gold.  After that, he starts turning livestock and vegetables into gold so that the people begin to starve.  After that, he tries to bargain with the Queen of England by promising that if she gives him complete control of England, he will turn everything back to its original state.  She does not agree to this, and Jack and his friends/allies end up fighting the Magus and his dark forces.  They win and the city turns back to normal. 
          I thought that this book was good, but it was a little young and underdeveloped, I thought.  I probably would have enjoyed it more when I was in 6th grade, because it is about a 12-year old boy.  I thought that the plot was kind of weak, and it was a little unrealistic.  I mean, fantasy is supposed to be unrealistic, but this was more than just unrealistic.  The story rambled on a bit about weird creatures that just barely make any sense, and some people might enjoy this, but I did not so much.  The story was gripping, but not in the "I must read" sense - it was more...I can't even explain it.  I couldn't put the book down, but I did not enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed other books.  I read it once, and I kind of liked it, but I probably won't read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment