Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fever 1793

Title: Fever 1793
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 251 (pages read - 78)

So up to where I've read, the fever already struck Philadelphia. One of the main characters, Polly Logan, is dead. Mother, Mattie and Eliza are drowned in fear over what happened, and whether it was a contagious disease or a simple coincidence. But Polly had been infected with the yellow fever. They try everything to prevent Matilda and others to get infected, but that epidemic spreads fast.
I think that this book is a great choice and that basically it teaches survival of how people back in the days lived, and strive through a deadly disease that spread like wild fire across the city. There are also family moments, where Matilda (the narrator) talks about her dead father, and her slave/best friend's husband that has also died. Back than (1700's) it was very hard for people do deal with situations like that, since they'd automatically fall into depression and forget about the whole world. And since people than died faster, because of lack of medicine and medical help, it was more common for people to fall into depression. That's why Matilda, er mother and Eliza are VERY worried if the disease is spreading, because they don't want to loose each other.

I highly recommend this historical fiction novel, because it's easy to understand, and it teaches a very tight but still broad topic, as of things like this still happen today, and people have to deal with it. also we get those topics of becoming mature and hopeful, which are values sent through the book for us to understand it more. For more info, please read this book, because it is pretty amazing :)


2 comments:

  1. Your post really got me into the book, and I really want to read the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Magda! I almost read that book, but I decided not to because I thought it looked boring. I guess I was wrong! If I see it in the library, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete