Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Book Thief - Blog #3

1) The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Historical Fiction
200/550

2) Not much has happened that is exciting over the past week. I know that Liesel, the girl that is also called "the book thief" has learned to read a little bit, but not through school. She learned to read from her new Papa, Hans Hubermann, her foster dad. The foster mom, Rosa Hubermann is not very nice; she insults everyone, even Liesel. The book thief also made a new friend. His name is Rudy Steiner. He has 5 siblings and his dad is part of the 10% of Germany that doesn't support Hitler. Rudy is a huge fan of Jesse Owens, but his dad doesn't like it. Liesel left the Kindergarten class that she was originally part of since she couldn't read or write, and she is now in the class with her friends. This makes her happier, but the terrible nightmares continue. She dreams of her brother and her mother and the book and the grave diggers and Rudy and Hitler and Germany and her future and her past. But every night when she awakens, her Papa is there to comfort her.

3) I've learned that Liesel has a very simple but still so complicated life. And that she appreciates the smallest things; maybe just a smile from her Mama, or a hug from her Papa can make her day. I think that what I have read so far is not the kind of book that I prefer I think. I like books with a lot of drama, action, and I like to connect personally with the characters. I don't feel that way about this book yet, but who knows? It might change.

4) "You can steal a book, but you can't read one!" (Zusak 77). Liesel was in class. She was supposed to read in front of the class when she could hear a voice shouting in her head. This reveals what Liesel thinks of herself and what others might think later on. This makes me feel worried for Liesel, for what is going to happen next. It makes me feel bad because she knows she stole a book, but she can't even read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment