Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Christmas Carol #2

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 57/126

In the past pages that I have read, there have been a couple of important events. The main one is that Ebenezer Scrooge is taken by the Ghost of Christmas Past to see his childhood. The ghost takes him back to Christmas day when he was a boy. He shows him all his classmates that were having fun together. Then the ghost shows Scrooge himself, sitting alone in his classroom. He shows how Scrooge stays in the class several years until, finally, his sister Fan comes to pick him up and bring him home. We eventually find out that she dies and that she is the mother of Scrooge's nephew, Fred. I have gained more knowledge about Scrooge's life and now things are starting to make sense. These events have affected Scrooge in a negative way because they remind him of his sister whom he loved very, very much.
My recent reading hasn't fulfilled my expectations yet, but I am having a lot of fun reading this book. For my continued reading, I expect something somewhat similar to this event to happen. I am very satisfied with my reading so far.
"'Nothing,' said Scrooge. 'Nothing. There was a boy singing a Christmas Carol at my door last night. I should like to have given him something; that's all'" (Dickens 40). This passage is very important. It is a great example of regret, a huge theme represented throughout the book. It shows how Scrooge, after having looked back upon his life, realizes the things he needs to do to be a better person. This passage delights me as a reader because it is something that I think everyone can relate too. It is something that has happened to everyone, and will continue to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment