Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lovely Bones 2


Lovely Bones
Alice Sebold
Mystery, thriller
112/328


At the beginning of this section Susie (protagonist) in a way wishes her father to kill the murderer. She wants that because he feels really guilty for not protecting his daughter when she needed it. He tries to help Lindsay (Susie’s sister) with dealing with the murder of her sister but she denies all of the help. The murder has affected everyone in the family but Buckley (their brother who is four). When Susie’s parents look at Lindsay they see Susie, but they aren’t the only ones who see it. Lindsay now takes a shower in the dark to she wouldn’t be able to see her self in the mirror. Mr. Salmon (Susie’s dad) is almost 100% sure that Mr. Harvey killed his daughter (He is correct). When he told the policeman about it the policeman went to question Mr. Harvey but he didn’t find anything suspicious but he did find him a little weird. One of the things that left the strongest impression was that Mr. Harvey changed the name of his wife that has passed away. In the following chapter the author describes an event that happened before Susie was murdered. The author also speaks about what happened to her friends. After that Mr. Salomon goes to Susies friends house in hope to speak to her friend. When he comes her friend isn’t there so he speaks to his mom. After a while he arrives and talks to Mr. Salmon. When Mr. Salmon came home the policemen was there to talk to him and the chapter ended as they started to talk. Susie’s family had to tell Buckley that he won’t see his sister anymore because she was dead. They tried to put that off as long as they could but he was constantly asking them about her. But then one day when Buckley was with his friend Nate he told him that he saw his sister and that she kissed him goodnight. They later on in the chapter sneak into her room and look through her private things and find a stick with blood on it, which brings back memories with them. In the last chapter Susie’s grandma comes for her memorial. In this chapter her grandma helps cheer up the family, as they are all sad because of the death even though couple of months have passed. There are many things I discovered in these couple chapters such as the fact that Mr. Salmon knows that Mr. Harvey killed his daughter. Even though I knew that it is important for the story that at least one of the characters suspects the real murderer. These developments have changed the story because up until this point none of the characters even suspected the real murderer. I am very glad that at least one character suspects him because it makes me more sure that they will find out who the murderer is.

I enjoyed what I have read so far but I think that in these couple of chapters we should have found out a little bit more about the murderer. But then again if I didn’t find out many of the things I have read in the previous couple of chapters I wouldn’t be able to understand the book. My recent reading has fulfilled my expectations even though it wasn’t as exiting as the previous section. I expect that another character will suspect Mr. Harvey as the murderer I honestly hope that that person is the policeman. So far I am very satisfied with me reading and I am exited to read on.

I have a couple of main questions they are: Are the characters going to figure out that Mr. Harvey murdered Susan Salmon? How are they going to figure that out when Mr. Harvey is so good at playing innocent? Who is going to be the first one to figure it out except Mr. Salmon? My main concern is that the police won’t put the pieces together to figure out that Mr. Harvey murdered her.

“”Last night she came in and kissed me on the cheek,” Buckley said
 “Did not”
 “Did too”
 “Really?”
 “Yeah”
“Have you told your mom?”
“It’s a secret,” Buckley said “Susie told me she isn’t ready to talk to them yet. Do you want to see something else?”” (Page 92)

This passage for the first time reveals to the reader that Buckley (Susie’s brother) can see her. This intrigues the character because you don’t really know how that is possible. The thing that I find even more interesting is that Susie doesn’t know how he sees her. She is not sure if he is telling the truth or is it just a way for him to deal with her not being here anymore. This is my favorite part of this section because I find it interesting that he is the only person that can see her but then again I don’t know if he is telling the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment