Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Book Thief - Blog #1

1) The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Historical Fiction
Pg. 30/550

2) Not much has happened in the story so far, since I haven't read much. But I know that the story is written in first person, in the perspective of a person, I think, who collects the souls of the dead, and carries them away to some other place that is yet unknown. This "person" is also unknown. I'm going to call it a he, since that's how I picture him in my mind, and his name, for now, will be "the Soul Collector". He is alone in life, and does his job all day every day, literally. He has no vacations, because people are always dying, and so he always has to be there to collect their souls. He says that his only vacation would be distractions. Other than that, no breaks, ever. This story is not about the Soul Collector's life though. It is about a girl he calls The Book Thief, who he saw three times in person, at three different deaths that were years apart, and one of those deaths was her brother. The third and last time he saw her, she dropped a book; her diary. So against the rules, the Soul Collector took the diary, and read it hundreds of times over and over. And that is what this book will be about; The Book Thief's story, from her diary, told by the Soul Collector.

3) So far, there is a lot of information at once, a lot of things happening, and you don't really have time to truly capture it before the story moves on to the next idea. This way, it is pretty intense, fast moving, and a bit confusing at times. But this is also what makes it so interesting. I love how there are so many things that are unknown, that I will probably have to figure out myself, or that will be revealed at the end of the book. I already expect a lot from this book, since everyone I ask says it's amazing, and because the story seems right, for me. So far, I am very satisfied with what I have read, but then again; I haven't read more than 30 pages, which is not a lot.

4) "It suffices to say that at some point, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms. A color will be perched on my shoulder. I will carry you gently away" (Zusak 4). This passage is straight very straight forward, telling you exactly what will happen when you die. I think this is sort of funny, because everyone wonders what will happen when you die, and teh ones who experienced it are not here to tell us, so it is left a question. This tells you what will happen in an unexpected way, and it still does not truly answer your question, which I think was the intent. This makes me feel relieved and frustrated at the same time, because he answered my question, but still didn't.






No comments:

Post a Comment