Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Blog Post No. 1)

Chronicle of a Death Foretold

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Genre: Crime Fiction

Number of Pages Read: 16/120

Summary: The book is set in a small town on the coast of the Caribbean during the 1950s and later. The story does not have a linear timeline. The protagonist of the story is a 24 year old man, Santiago Nasar. His father is Arabian and his mother is a local. His father died, so he lived with his mother, cook and servant. They live in an abandoned warehouse that is adapted to suit the families needs. Santiago knows he will get killed some day. The motive is not yet revealed. On the sixteenth page, it is revealed that the murders are the Vicario brothers, who will kill him on the rear door of his house. They slept on the bench the day before with their knives hidden in newspapers.

Reflection: For now, I find the book very strange, for the time is not set in one period, but the author describes multiple periods. It is hard for me to fully understand the novel because the names are foreign and I am having trouble remembering them. I think I'm going to like the book when I get deeper into it, for I like mysteries. I hope the book will stop being repetitive as I read on.

Passage:

"He'd dreamed he was going through a grove of timber trees where gentle drizzle was falling, and for an instant he was happy in his dream, but when he awoke he felt completely splattered with bird shit."

I chose this passage because of the word choice. I was very surprised when I read a swear word in the second sentence of the novel. I laughed because of the context and because of the word choice. In the sentence I chose, i like the descriptions. There is enough description for a vivid image, but significantly less than in Dickens' work that I have previously read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment