Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chains #1

Name of Book: Chains
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: Historical Fiction
Number of pages read: 50/300

The protagonist of this book is a 13 year old slave called Isabel and the book is set during the American Revolution. She has a younger sister called Ruth and their mistress, Miss Mary Finch, dies. Their mistress's only living relative was her nephew Mr. Robert Finch and he decides to sell Isabel and Ruth. Isabel and Ruth protest that Miss Mary Finch has freed them in her will and they try to make Mr. Robert believe them but he doesn't because their lawyer left for Boston and took his papers with him. After this, Mr. Robert takes them to a port and then to a tavern to sell them. Miss and Mr. Lockton first want to buy them, but then Jenny their mother's old friend tries to buy them too but she doesn't have enough money so they get sold to Miss and Mr. Lockton. Then they travel to New York because that is where their new masters live.

I think that this is going to be a very interesting book and I like the book so far because of the author's descriptive word choice and dialogue and because I will learn new things about the American Revolution. My reading did fulfill my expectations because at the beginning of the book I wasn't sure whether I would like the book or not because I don't usually read historical fiction but now I am really glad I chose this book. For my continued reading I expect that there will be more action, maybe Isabel an Ruth will run away from the Locktons or find out a big secret that they are hiding.

"Missus bent close to Ruth's face. "I do not brook foolishness," she said. Ruth shook her head from side to side. "No foolin'," she said." -page 21
This quote shows that Ruth is still very young however is treated very strictly. We also find out that Miss Lockton isn't a very caring person and that she is intolerant. 

1 comment: