Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Book Thief - Blog #2

1)The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Historical Fiction
73/550

2) Not a lot of interesting things have happened since last week. There is mainly just background information about the girl, or as The Soul Collector calls her, the book thief. I know that it takes place during the second world war, and that this girl belongs to a poor family, her dad and her little brother are dead, and her mom is now sending her away to a foster home, where she will hopefully get a better life. In her lifetime, she steals many books, for various reasons. But some she got, some she stole, others she found. The first book she found at her brother's funeral, it was one of the grave diggers' book. I don't know a lot about the Soul Collector still, but I think I will find out more as I read on. I have learned that a lot of bad things can happen to good people, and I keep asking myself why? Why can't those bad things happen to bad people, and make them suffer, instead of the ones who are only good? I have discovered that the girl is not happy with her foster family, and she tries to make through one day at a time, and she barely has anything to live for, but still she doesn't give up.

3) I think that so far the book is not the best I've read, but it's interesting, and I hope it will get better as I continue reading. Since the book is very long, I expected a lot more for my future reading, otherwise I won't have a good time when reading this. I think it is very confusing at times, and I have a lot of questions that I hope will be answered later on.

4) "The point is, it didn't really matter what that book was about. It was what it meant that was more important. The book's meaning: 1. The last time she saw her brother. 2. The last time she saw her mother" (Zusak 38). This passage means a lot to this past reading. It sums up quite well what this book is about, and what this girl has been through all in one. This reveals that the girl steals the books not because of what they are about, but because of what they mean to her. She also cannot read or write, so the meaning of the words is useless to her anyway. This passage makes me feel sorry for the girl, because I cannot imagine what she has been through, and she is not even 12 yet. I think if I was in her situation, I would have not wanted to live anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment