Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Christmas Carol #3

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 92/126

In the last pages I have read, another spirit has been introduced. He is the Ghost of Christmas Present. Scrooge wakes up in the middle of the night and goes to the room next to his bedroom. He finds the ghost sitting on an enormous pile of turkey, chicken, apples, and any other food you could imagine. Then, Scrooge and the ghost magically appear on the street on Christmas day. They see people smiling and having fun. The spirit takes Scrooge to Bob Cratchit's house. He is Scrooge's assistant. Bob is carrying Tiny Tim, his sick child. Scrooge asks the spirit if Tiny Tim will survive from the disease. He says that looking at the conditions in which the family is in, he will not survive. I have learned that Bob's son is sick, and that his family needs help. This has affected Scrooge because now he is feeling guilty about the eventual death of Bob's son, Tiny Tim.
I think that what I have read has revealed a few very important pieces of information regarding Scrooge and the people around him. Yes, my recent reading has fulfilled my expectations. For my continued reading, I expect something extraordinary to happen. I expect for something out of my expectations to happen. I am very satisfied with my reading.
"'No, no,' said Scrooge. 'Oh no, kind Spirit! say he will be spared!'" (Dickens 74). This passage reveals the true Ebenezer Scrooge. It shows the bright, the regretful, the caring side of him. This passage delights me because it shows character development. It shows how Scrooge is growing from being cruel to being caring. It shows me that Scrooge is becoming a completely new character.

No comments:

Post a Comment