Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Title: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Author: Fannie Flagg
Genre: Historical Fiction
Number of Pages: 40/ 403

This week I started reading a new book. I didn't really understand much but so far nothing exciting happened. The story talks both in past and present; in the 40's and the 80's. It talks about a friendship between a middle-aged housewife Evelyn and a old lady Ninny Threadgoode who lives at a nurturing home.Whenever Evelyn visits Ninny, Ninny reveals her memories about the Whistle Stop Cafe. This cafe was ran by Ninny's sister in law Idgie and her friend Ruth.  The story starts of by explaining the opening of the cafe and later on talks about how popular the cafe became and how cheap the food actually was. The setting of the book is Alabama and the narrators often change which confused me the most while reading. That's about it because I couldn't understand anything. The set up of the book and the plot is very confusing. There are many characters that often change around and the narrators do the same.

So far I don't really like the book and I don't see any action happening. To me the books beginning and end are the most important and that is why I think that this book might not be the right for me. The plot and set up is also very confusing. This is why I don't expect anything interesting to happen later on. I just don't seem to find a problem or a conflict that could happen.

"The Whistle Stop Cafe opened up last week, right next door to me at the post office, and owners Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamsion said business had been good ever since." (3)

This passage talks about the opening of the cafe and who the owners are. I think this part explains the main thing we need to know about the book and the books setting. I think that it was important of the readers to know this about the cafe, that it is a good business and who the owners are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment