Sunday, November 10, 2013

Lovely Bones 1


Lovely Bones
Alice Sebold
Mystery, thriller
58/328

I just started a new book for the second outside reading report. In the very first chapter of the book the main character is killed and that is the focus of the first chapter. The book is written from her point of view from heaven. The main characters name is Susie Salmon; she was murdered on December 6 1973. Her neighbor killed her. One day when Susie was coming home from school, her neighbor Mr. Harvey called her to see something. At first she denied it but then she accepted to come with him. He then led her to an underground place where she was killed. At first she didn’t see it coming but after a while she knew that she wouldn’t come out alive. The murderer does not want to be found and he is doing a really good job in keeping himself innocent and of the suspect list. At the beginning the police was not sure if Susie was dead. Only the elbow was found at first. The whole body was not found only some clues that lead to the conclusion that she is dead. The police found a book that belonged to her   “To Kill a Mocking Bird”, her notebook, and a hat that her mother made for her. When they found the hat they did test on it and found out that the hat was used in the murder. Susie is now in heaven and she is looking down on earth. She knows who murdered her but all that she could do about it is sit and watch. She cannot communicate with no one from the physical world. I have learned many things in these 50 pages since they were the first 50 pages. I found out who the characters are and how each one is dealing with the murder of Susie. I also found out about Susie’s heaven. In this book, not everyone shares the same heaven (not everyone has the same heaven and they don’t see t same things in their heavens.). These developments have affected a lot because when I started reading I didn’t have any previous knowledge about any of the characters or any of the situations the characters will be put in.

I am blown away by what I have read in the previous 58 pages of my book. I didn’t really have any expectations starting the book. My recent reading has very much fulfilled my expectations because there are so many things going on in the book. I like that the book is written in a point of view that is not someone on earth. The book is written in Susie’s point of view from heaven. I like that she already knows everything that has happened to her and that she can’t really influence anything that will happen. I thing that in the following chapters Susie’s dad will figure out (or at least start thinking) about who he thinks killed his fourteen year old daughter. I think that her dad will by the end of the book Susie’s dad will figure out who killed his daughter. I think that because I have a feeling that Susie’s dad has had an idea that Mr. Hervey might be guilty of murdering his daughter but isn’t quite sure yet. I would be really glad if by the end of the book they do figure out what really happened that night. I would be glad especially because Susie isn’t the first girl Mr. Hervey has murdered. I am very satisfied about what I have read so far and I am exited to read more!

I have many questions about the book right now. There are many things that are currently unclear to me. But my main question is: When and how will the Salmon family along with the police figure out that Mr. Hervey killed Susie.

“He took the hat from my mouth. “Tell me you love me,” he said. Gently, I did. The end came anyway” (Alice Sebold page 15)

I loved the way the author in this quote told the reader that Mr. Hervey killed Susie. This passage reveals the main thing in the book. If this part was left out of the book the story would be a bit unclear to the reader. In this quote the author tells the reader that the main character is killed. When I read this passage I felt devastated and angry because of what happened.  I felt especially devastated because in the quote you can see that the character is totally helpless and weak in this situation. Even though I knew that the main character is going to die I didn’t want her do die without a fight. I thought that the event would be described differently. But I liked the way the author said that because then you realize that no extra words were actually needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment