Monday, November 11, 2013

A Christmas Carol #1

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 30/126
In the first pages that I have read of the book, there have been a few important events. First of all, the main character, Ebenezer Scrooge, has been introduced. I have found out that he is a stubborn old man, who hates almost everything and everyone. He owns a little counting-house, which he used to run with his partner, Jacob Marley. Marley died seven years before the book is taking place. The event that stood out the most to me was when a young boy came into the shop and said, "Merry Christmas". Scrooge, being his depressed, annoying self, responded, "What good is Christmas? To make me shut down business?" Later on, Scrooge leaves the shop and returns home. His house is ugly. It looks like a cemetery. There was no light, for he had no money to pay for it. So he had to walk around like a blind man in search of his door. When he got to the door, he looked at his doorknob. On it, he saw his partner's face. This part was especially scary because I wasn't expecting anything like it. I found out about the characters and setting in the pages I have read. These events have affected Scrooge because he is now frightened, so this will change his mentality throughout the book.
I think that I chose a great book. I especially like the vocabulary that the author uses. I expect for something bad to happen. Hopefully something interesting. I am extremely satisfied with what I have read.
"Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that" (Dickens 1). Looking back, I understand that it might have been a small sentence, but it was definitely important. This sentence is an example of foreshadowing. This passage shows the reader that Marley is dead, obviously. This passage worries me because you never know what might happen next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment