Thursday, March 7, 2013

To Kill A Mockingbird

Title: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Author: Harper Lee
Genre: Classic
Pages: 376  

For this weeks blog post the question we have to answer is, Explain the best aspect of this partner read for you. Ask your partner to share his/her experience.

For me I think that the best part about this reading is probably the fact that my mum can help me. So for example if I do not understand or get something in the book my mum will be there to help me and it is nice because then we can talk about the book since we have both read it. What also is nice is that because she has read it I can have her opinion about ho to do my book report and what I should do with a certain character etc. My mum said that she thought it was a good experience reading with me and she thought it was nice how we could communicate and talk about the book. She said that it was an interesting way of reading and it makes her think of when i was little, since she would always read with me and now we will both read the same book, just not together but we an still share our thoughts about the book.

In the last chapter of the book Scout has a pageant at school, her role is to play a ham. No one is able to come and watch her performance but Jem is able to take her there. As they walk down the street during the night it is dark, and a little creepy but both of the finally get to the school safely and in time. Scout gets ready and puts on her ham costume but is very bored back stage and falls asleep. But she wakes up just in time but stumbles a little on the stage. At the end of the performance when everyone has left Jem and Scout leave. They are out of the school and it is even darker and creepier. Both of them are a little scared. Scout had trouble with the zipper so she was still wearing her ham costume. But Scout has forgotten her shoes and is bare foot, but they decide to come back in the morning. As they walk hom they can hear sounds be hind them. Scout and Jem stop and shout out, asking that if it is Cecil Jacobs then to stop it. Both of them continue walking but Scout can hear foot steps behind her. When she and Jem stopped the foot steps stopped. When she walked again, she could hear the foot steps. Finally she stopped again and could hear the foot steps, they did not stop. All of a sudden someone attacks Jem, sending him flying to the ground be punch and suffocated. Scout tries to help but gets pushed out of the way. It is hard for Scout to see because she is wearing her ham costume, she tries to locate Jem with the noise she hears. As she said in the book, 'My toes touched trousers, a belt buckle, buttons, something I could not identify, a collar, and a face. A prickly stubble on the ace told me it was not Jem's. I smelled stale whisky' (Lee 352).

Scout runs along the road and can see a tall man carrying something, she realizes that it is Jem, he is taking him to the front of her yard, and inside her house. Scout runs in, everyone around her is going crazy  Scout asks Atticus if Jem is dead, but Atticus says that he is not. Mr. Tate has gone outside to go see if there is anything out there and when he comes back he said this, "Bob Ewell's lyin' on the ground under that tree down yonder with a kitchen knife stuck up under his ribs. He's dead, Mr. Finch"   (Lee 357).

But Scout wonders, she could hear staggerin and pantin' like someone was being suffocated she thought it was Jem but it didn't sound like him. She thought Atticus had come to save them and help them up but it was someone else. Who was it? shes asks, "Why there he is, Mr. Tate, he can tell you his name" (Lee 362).

'He was still leaning against the wall. He had bee leaning against the wall when I came into the room, his arms folded across his chest. As I pointed he brought his arms down and pressed the palms of his hamds against the wall. They were white hands, sickly white hands that had never seen the sun, so white they stood out garishly against the dull cream wall in the dim light of Jem's room. I looked from his hands to his sand-stained khaki pants; my eyes traveled up his thin frame to his torn denim shirt. His face was as white as his hands, but for a shadow in his jutting chin. His cheeks were thin to hollowness; his mouth was wide; there were shallow, almost delicate indentations at his temples, and his gray eyes where so colorless I thought he was blind. His hair was dead thin, almost feathery on top of his head. When I pointed to him his palms slipped slightly, leaving greasy sweat streaks on the wall, and he hooked his thumbs in his belt. A strange small spasm shook him, as if he heard fingernails scrape slate, but as I gazed at him in wonder the tension slowly drained from his face. His lips parted into a timid smile, and our neighbor's image blurred with my sudden tears.
"Hey, Boo," I said (Lee 362).

Out of the book this part and the law case where probably the most exciting parts. I really have enjoyed this book. And I recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a good interesting classic book.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds very thrilling. The part about Jem being attacked was giving me the chills. I think that the quotes you gave were very good because they helped me understand what was going on more.

    ReplyDelete