Thursday, March 7, 2013

ORR #6: Old Goriot by Honore de Balzac

Title: Old Goriot
Author: Honore de Balzac
Genre: Classic
Pages: 328

This book was really interesting since it has introduced me to a new world, that I haven't really paid attention to before, and it is Paris in the 1820s. It is a really book because it isn't really a fiction nor a romance, everything is true, that my mother and I have seen some resemblance from the book in our daily lives, and I thought that was really cool. I don't really like classics but this was a really interesting book, and I liked it a lot. A quote that I found really interesting was "Treat this world as it deserves...The more cold bloodedly you calculate the farther you will go. Strike ruthlessly and you will be feared. Regard men and women only as you do post-horses that you will leave worn out at every stage and so you shall arrive at the goal of your desires", and I really liked it because I thought it showed another perspective that some one might have on life. Reading this book has also sort of brought me and my mother closer together, because we would talk about the book very often, and share what we have gotten out of the chapter that we have read. 

My mom was the one to choose what book we were going to read, because I really didn't mind, and she has already read the book before so it wasn't a new thing for her, but she still liked it. This is the kind of book that you could read over and over again and not get really bored. I also really liked the book, because as mentioned in my previous blog posts, I am in love with the city of Paris, and so exploring a new world that is based in it was really interesting. The best part of reading this book was the fact that I got to read it with my mother, and we bonded throughout the whole project. Both of us really liked the fact that the book was very well written, and that in each character we could have seen some resemblance to someone we know, which I thought was really interesting. I enjoyed this project more than I initially planned to, which is always a good thing. 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed partner reading with my mother as well. I liked you quote though it confused me a bit, I had to read it through a few times to understand what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked reading with my mom. It was fun spending time together and having something to discuss about. It is interesting how you said you connect it with your daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are your mum and you have the same taste in books then :) I just realized I've never read a book that was set in Paris, it's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this book, and it seems like Elena would enjoy it since she loves the glam life. Also I really like how you could relate your daily lives to this book. I almost never find a book where I can connect it to my real life. I really like your summary great detail and seems like a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete