Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Hobbit/ Enders Game

The Hobbit
Pages: 305
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Genre: Fantasy

This is my last post for The Hobbit. My mother and I really enjoyed reading a book together. The last time we did something like this was when I was young and she would read to me or I would read to her. The part I liked most about this was hearing someone else's insight and predictions even though ours were really similar. My mom liked discussing the book with me and because this was fun, my mother and I plan to read the Lord of the Rings over the summer to see what happens to Bilbo.


Enders Game
Author: Orson Card
Pages: 29/324
Genre: Sci-Fi

I just started the book Enders Game. This is one of the few Sci-Fi books I have ever read and though I have hardly made a dent into the book, I can tell it will be one of my favorites. The book is about a boy named Ender. He is the third child he is called the THIRD by many of his piers because it is peculiar to have a third child. The reason his parents had a third child because their first child was almost taken into very elite training to become a soldier, but he was just to murderous and dangerous his name is Peter. Then they suggested for the family to have a girl, her name is Valentine, but she was to mild. They asked the parents to have a third child, a boy named Ender. He was eventually chosen at the age of six to go into training because he is a app medium between Valentine and Peter. Sadly he is being taken away from his parents and his beloved sister. The only good thing for him being taken away is that he will finally be free of his blood thirsty brother. Peter fantasizes about murdering his siblings, "'I could kill you like this,' Peter whispered. 'Just press until you're dead. And I could say that I didn't know it would hurt you, that we were just playing, and they'd believe me, and everything would be fine. And you'd be dead. Everything would be fine'" (Card 12). This is one of the less gruesome quotes from Peter. I think Peter is mentally unstable and needs help. I am excited to learn what will happen next in this novel.

4 comments:

  1. I also remember doing that with my mom, reading stories. It was really fun. I hope you enjoy reading your new book and find out what happens to Bilbo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! Have you watched the movie the Hobbit? Good for you and your mum :D I think me and my parents won't really read a book together ever again except for if we have to for school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the movie and I am sure that the book is amazing too, and just by looking at your description I can see it is an amazing book. I also agree with you that the fun part about this project is hearing your partners predictions compared to yours and see the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the movie, when I watched it, however as they like to make the movies that are out of 3 parts, the ending of the movie wasn't really impressive. I'm sure that the book is amazing since Tolkien is a very appreciated and great author. Hope you had fun reading it!

    ReplyDelete