Friday, March 15, 2013

ORR #7: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Title: The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett
Genre: Historic Fiction
Pages: 451

This week I started reading a new book called "The Help". I watched the movie and really liked it so I decided that it would be really nice if I would read the book, so that is exactly what I did. The book is about the story of black maids working in white Southern homes in the early 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi. Miss Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan, a 22-year-old graduate from Ole Miss, who returns to her family's cotton plantation, Longleaf, to find that her beloved maid and nanny, Constantine, has left and no one will tell her why. Skeeter tries to behave as a proper Southern lady: She plays bridge with the young married women; edits the newsletter for the Junior League; and endures her mother's constant advice on how to find a man and start a family. However, Skeeter's real dream is to be a writer, but the only job she can find is with the Jackson Journal writing a housekeeping advice column called "Miss Myrna." Skeeter knows little about housekeeping, so she turns to her friend's maid, Aibileen, for answers and finds a lot more.

The book is really interesting because it takes you to another world that, I haven't really thought about before, and I really like books like that. And since I watched the movie before I can really picture the way that the characters looked like which always adds to the imagery of the book. 

3 comments:

  1. Great post but how on earth did you have time to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha i agree with Sofia but then you somehow always find time cuz reaidng is awesome. I read this book before I really enjoyed it and love how empowerirng women are here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice, I read this book last year and found it really interesting, well written and instructive. It also proves a lot about women's right.

    ReplyDelete