Saturday, March 30, 2013

Oscar Pistorius

Book: Blade Runner
Author: Oscar Pistorius
Genre: Autobiography
Pages: 222


Great people from our world include presidents, scientists, politicians and even athletes. Such as:
·         Rosa Parks: for stepping up for black people by not getting up on the bus for a white person
·        Mother Teresa
·         Hellen Keller- for living even thought she was deaf and blind
 Since last year, I knew this year we would have to choose a person for living history, someone who has done good to the world and a person who inspired others, therefore last year I bought a book and read it during the summer, after reading it I knew the person I was going to do. (Unlike other people I did not have to research about inspiring people)  Born with the fibula missing in both legs, Oscar Pistorius was born to Sheila and Henk Pistorius on the 22 November 1986 at the Sandton Clinic in Johannesburg. Due to his bones missing, he only had 2 toes on both feet, and at only 11 months he had both legs amputated from the knee down. He started walking with prostheses. Along with his older brother and younger sister Oscar was an adventurous child and therefore though of the craziest things, he never cared that he was different, he played sports just like any normal child (rugby, boxing, wrestling), running was never one of the sports liked, in fact whenever the school would organize a sports day with running races, he would find an excuse not to participate. However he later on became a runner for South Africa and has inspired many disabled people to live on their dream.
Why he should be included in the ‘museum’:

1.   became the first amputee to compete in any Olympics
2.   He never wanted to become a runner, however after an injury, to get back in shape he had to train on the tracks. There he established his love for running and proved that with will one can accomplish anything.
3. At the 2011 World Championships in Athletics, Pistorius became the first amputee to win an able-bodied world track medal. At the 2012 Summer Olympics, Pistorius became the first double leg amputee to participate in the Olympics when he entered the men's 400 metres and 4 × 400 metres relay races.
·      4. Pistorius also actively supports the Mineseeker Foundation he is the ambassador, a charity that works to raise awareness for landmine victims. This initiative is dedicated to the detection,identification and removal of land-mines. It seeks to help those people who have been affected by land-mines.




·          5.In 2007, the International Association of Athletic Foundations, the worldwide body that governs international competition, banned Pistorius from competing, stating that his artificial legs gave him an unfair advantage over able-bodied athletes in the competition. However he overcame it and with some test proved them wrong
·          6. Is called : "fastest man on no legs”

“I am chasing my dream- a dream to become an athlete. Not a disabled athlete, simply an athlete.”-12in Blade Runner
This is one of the quotes he said in the book I’m reading, I really like it because he doesn’t look at himself as if something were wrong, he just wants to fulfill his dream and be appreciated for it.
After all, I think my living history person is not only a new person in the museum, but an inspirational young man that showed even if one is disabled, he/she should follow their dream.
Resources:
 Book

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a very brave man. Despite the fact that he was quite disabled in the legs, he was still determined to become an athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that he shot his girlfriend which is bad but if you put that aside I agree, I think that he is a really great human being. You can see he had so much determination because he grew up with no limbs and he wanted to run. He really shows the wolrd that anything is possible! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this guy on the Olympics, and I was very impressed with what he does, because first of all I just can't run for my own pleasure, so the fact that he runs because running is what he loves is impressive, and the clear fact that he has no legs, just makes this man really impressive for me, so yes, I think that you should do him. About the part where he shot his girlfriend I know it's something tricky to go around, but you can just turn it around like he did. I can't wait to see what you're going to do when you dress up as him, because it's tricky to pretend like you don't have both legs, so I cant wait to see how you pull it of! Great and interesting choice, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete