Friday, March 1, 2013

Dracula # 5

Dracula
Bram Stoker
Horror/Suspense



As I am ending this book, I have found the ending very confusing and I have had to read it over and over in order to finally understand. A lot has happened since my last blog post. Right after Dracula had broken into Lord Godalming's house, and had nearly killed Lord Godalming and had hypnotized Mina (John's wife). Shortly after these events, they decided to do even more investigation into Dracula's departure. But while they are investigating, they soon found out that somehow, Mina had developed a mental bond with Dracula. She was able to see, hear, and feel what Dracula was. Using the mental connection to gather information, they soon find out that Dracula will be departing by boat to a port on the Danube. From there, its a race against time in order to intercept Dracula and finally rid the world of Dracula.

How would you describe the author's use of language in this novel? Do you each enjoy how it is used? Have you learned a new vocabulary word while reading this novel? 

I personally find the vocabulary used in this novel, utterly confusing. This is probably because this book was written in the early 20th century and even though the English vocabulary was similar, it still had certain variations. For example, they use words such as ribald, cumbrous, large-bore, and whithersoever. For a 21st century 8th grade, this can be quite confusing at some points. I don't necessarily enjoy the way the use this or not. It can be confusing at points, but I think it is good for me since it challenges my vocabulary skills. While reading this book, I have not necessarily found out more words, but have developed my vocabulary guessing skills. By this, it means that after reading this book, I can now guess the definitions of unknown words, more accurately. I do this by looking at what context it is in. For example, if the sentence is: John was getting tired because the dog was cumbrous. I know this means that cumbrous means difficult to maintain or handle.


My mom believes that Stoker's use of descriptive language throughout the book is what makes this book a pleasure to read even a one hundred years after he wrote it.  While there are many examples descriptions that pull the reader into each scene, one example in particular comes to mind.  When Jonathan Harker, one who had narrowly escaped death at Count Dracula's hand, decides to help in the hunt for Count Dracula in London and enters into a chapel where Dracula has made a new lair, he writes later in his journal that "here the place was small and close, and the long disuse had made the air stagnant and foul...It was not alone that it was composed of all the ills of mortality and with the pungent, disgusting smell of blood, but it seemed as though corruption had become itself corrupt....Every breath exhaled by that monster seemed to have clung to the place and intesified its loathsomeness...." (location 5382 in Kindle).  For Jonathan the smell brought back the memory of how very evil Dracula was.  The book has challenged my mom's vocabulary with words like sophistry, lugubrious, celerity, and apposite 

Quote: 

"Now God be thanked that all has not been in vain! See! the snow is not more stainless than her forehead! The curse has passed away!"

I think that this quote means that it was a big relief when the got rid of Dracula. It was like a weight was lifted off from the world's shoulders.

2 comments:

  1. Good job. I like your quote and I understand the same way as you do but overall a very nice blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I really like the quote and I can see how you would see that in the quote. I also do agree that it doesn't matter how old the book is, if the language is very strong and well written it can be amusing during any year. Good job.

    ReplyDelete