Monday, October 15, 2012

Title: Private Peaceful
Author: Michael Morpurgo

  I used this book for my book report, and I know some of you have heard about this book. This for the ones who were not in my class, or the ones who weren't there that day.
“I knew my uncle Pieter, killed in 1940 in the RAF, through a photograph, through the stories I heard of him, through the grief my mother, his sister, lived every day of her life. I missed him and I'd never known him. All I knew was what I'd been told, that he'd given his life for our freedom. I thought the world of him for that. I still do.”
Michael Morpurgo
Private Peaceful is a book, which won a Blue Peter Book Award, written by Michael Morpurgo, about two brothers, Thomas and Charlie Peaceful. If one had read Michael Morpurgo books, they would have realized that Morpurgo wrote a lot about wars and animals. The reason is he has a great love for animals, and writes novels that are often related to his childhood. The reason Michael Morpurgo wrote a lot of books about war, was because he was born in the Middle of World War I. He called himself a ‘war baby’. As a child Michael Morpurgo lived next to a bombsite, where he loved to play. But as he grew, he realized what damage the war actually did. The war had a terrible impact during the people’s lives, and so many people, like Michael Morpurgo’s uncle, had sacrificed themselves to give freedom to their families. Morpurgo could not forget that quite easily, so he decided to write this book, in the memorial of all the people that had suffered in the war.
The main character Thomas Peaceful lived in Devonshire, England, with his mother and two brothers, Charlie and Big Joe. Life was not always very easy for them because they lacked money, otherwise their life was normal. As small kids Tommo and Charlie went to school. “Charlie had often told me how terrible this school-place is: about Mr. Munnings and his raging tempers and the long whipping cane he hangs on the wall above his desk. (Page 7, Private Peaceful, Michael Morpurgo).” It shows that school at the time was strict, and that children often dreaded going there. Charlie and Thomas often spent time with their friend, Molly. They were the inseparable three. “’They say as long as we stick together we’ll be lucky and happy’. Then she smiled at us. ‘And the stones never lie,’ she said, ‘so you’re stuck with me.’(Page 45, Private Peaceful, Michael Morpurgo).” Molly was right the stones didn’t lie. Their mother somehow managed to make money, and everything went well, that is until the World War I broke out. First, Thomas noticed that Charlie and Molly were growing distant from him. They knew much more about the war, and knew many more things Tommo didn’t know so he felt a bit left out. What haunted Tommo was that he thought he killed his own father. A tree had fallen on him, when he tried to save Tommo. Tommo was always planning to tell someone, but he never could gather the courage, especially that Charlie was not spending as much as time with him as he did before. But it was the war that really changed their lives. When Charlie was told he had to go to the war, Tommo decided he would go too. He wanted to keep his brother company. “’Who would you rather I look after, Molly? All of you at home who can perfectly well look after yourselves? Or Charlie, who’s always getting himself into nasty, scrapes, even at home?’ (Page 102, Private Peaceful, Michael Morpurgo)”. At first it seemed like the war was not a big problem. There were many drills and practices however everyone knew the horror that lay ahead them. When they finally entered the war in Belgium, Tommo saw the horrors of war. Dying men and horses all around him, dirt and mist, and they were always wet. However no matter what, Charlie was there by Tommo. They were safe like that, until Tommo got hurt. Charlie could not leave Tommo all alone to suffer, and disobeyed the Colonel’s orders, just to save his brother. He had risked his life to save Tommo, just like Morpurgo’s Uncle had. “He closes his eyes as he waits he sings softly. ‘Oranges and lemons, say the bells of St. Clements.’ Under my breath I sing it with him. I hear the echoing volley. It is done. It is over. (Page 184, Private Peaceful, Michael Morpurgo).”
This story does not have a happy ending, but after all, the World War I didn’t have a happy result either. So many people had died, to sacrifice themselves, even though they were innocent. So many got permanent injuries and many places got destroyed. This story shows how bitter wars are, and what they actually do. I would recommend this book to anyone, because this book is written for everyone.


4 comments:

  1. Macht spass das hier zu lesen und zu sehen! Auf dieser Homepage gibt es so viel intressantes und auch die Kommentare von somanch Leuten einfach nur intressant und auch lustig !.

    umzug
    umzug
    umzug Wien
    entsorgung wien

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and it was great liked it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the description you had but maybe try next time less detailed and maybe include a picture?

    ReplyDelete