Sunday, October 28, 2012

Book: Between Shades of Gray
Author: Ruta Sepetys
Genre:Historic Fiction
Pages:343


"They took me in my nightgown."
When I first read that I was like, WOW this story is going to be interesting, I was right. The story is set in Lithuania 1941, when the rule was from the Russians. 15 year old Lina,the main character, her 10 year old brother and mother, are being forced out of their house.( The author of the book uses a lot of metaphors and similes like: 'We were about to become those cigarettes.') But the father is missing! as they are forced into the truck they recognize a lot of people, of which one is a bald man who jumps out of the moving truck just to kill himself instead of having to suffer. The family faces a lot of challenges such as:
  • sticking together
  • hygiene: going to the toilet
  • finding the father
  • taking care of the sick in their wagon
In the wagon  Lina finds a friend, 17-year-old Andrius Arvydas. During the night, Lina , her brother and Andrius sneak out to find the men. (All the people have been separated-kids,women and men.)  After a long night, in wagon 17 Lina finally finds her father,has a talk blah blah blah, however Andrius doesn't want to go back yet, he wants to find his father so Lina and her brother return alone. As they get back Andrius is still missing-his mother pictures the worse.

The Line I liked the most so far was: "Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth?  That morning, my brother’s was worth a pocket watch."

I wonder if the guards caught Andrius and what they did with him? However I predict that he will come back, and him and Lina will have a great friendship but then in the end one of them will have to die.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting.... I really liked how you listed the challenges

    ReplyDelete