Friday, October 26, 2012

Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe

During the past week I have started reading a book of collected works of Edgar Allan Poe. I chose this book because when I opened the book on the first page and read the story MS. Found in a Bottle, it had very strong vocabulary with strong meaning that the writter is trying to tell us from his writing.pg.101 The Four Beasts in One, Edagar Allan Poe "His honor is however more properly attibutable to cabyses, the sonof Cyrus and indeed the character of the Syrian monarch does by no means stand in nedd of any adventitious embellishment." At the end of the book a couple of pages are filled with songs and poems that Edgar Allan Poe has written My favorite is the poem about his mother, he wote this poem when he was very ill and old a couple of weeks before his death. To My Mother (1849) by Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) Because I feel that, in the Heavens above, The angels, whispering to one another, Can find, among their burning terms of love, None so devotional as that of "Mother," Therefore by that dear name I long have called you- You who are more than mother unto me, And fill my heart of hearts, where Death installed you In setting my Virginia's spirit free. My mother-my own mother, who died early, Was but the mother of myself; but you Are mother to the one I loved so dearly, And thus are dearer than the mother I knew By that infinity with which my wife Was dearer to my soul than its soul-life. As so far as I can see the Works of Edgar Allan Poe show great sadness, depression. What i have noticed is that in most cases writers who often write sad and depresive works had a life that was same sad and poor like the works that they had composed. And I would say that Edgar Allan Poe falls into this category.

No comments:

Post a Comment