Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold








Title: The Spy Who Came In From the Cold
Genre: Historical Fiction 


So I have just started a new book called, The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. So far what I know is that is is set in Berlin at the time of the Berlin Wall. And there is also a spy who is given a special mission. First thing is that since I have not read that much of this book yet I thought maybe instead I should write about some of the history of the Berlin Wall.

Checkpoint Charlie is the place where when you passed it changed into a different world. One side had McDonalds, Coke, and happiness. But on the other side there was factories and rows and rows of identical apartments. So Germany was divided into two sides Eastern and Western Germany. Eastern Germany was a communist country which was owned by the Soviet Union. But the Western Germany the democracy was supported by the United States. On August 13, 1961 split the Germans decided to block of the East and Western side with barbed wire, streets and rail way lines were all torn up. East Berlin side was no longer allowed to go to the western side. So because the Eastern side could not go to the western side and they could really not do anything, they were just trapped. So many people tried to escape to the other side, many people got killed, they tried to get over walls, jump out of buildings, an even had underground trails. So to me this is a really interesting time in history. 


In my opinion I think I will really like this book because I love historical fiction it is my favorite genre. So I am really excited to read it. 

3 comments:

  1. Is he a french writter or is english the original language of this book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds like an extremely interesting book. I read a similar one called Auslander which is based in Germany during WWII and the Nazi regime. After you finish this one I would highly recommend you to read that book.

    ReplyDelete