Sunday, May 6, 2012

Title: The Earthsea Quartet
Author: Ursula le Guin
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 687

     Seeing as I've finished all three of my biographies, I thought I'd start reading some literature of my choice. I scanned through the fantasy section on my bookshelf (which is the largest section) to try and find a decent book. What I found was a very old copy of The Earthsea Quartet. It's one my dad had when he was my age, and back then and even now, it is one of the most renowned fantasy books worldwide. The book starts off in the land of Earthsea a vast archipelago where dragons, wizards and magic are plenty. It is so plenty in fact, that everyone knows knows a branch of magic from birth (which is pretty cool). Ged is the central character of the story, a boy with exceptional talent for magic, just undiscovered until he is 12. I have just finished the chapter where Ged used a fog-gathering spell to save his entire island from Krag invaders. I really liked that chapter, mainly because Ged is exceptional at magic, and he uses hs new found power for protection and safety instead of self-gain and murder (I'd probably use it as a terror tactic myself).
     Earthsea is still in the iron age. It never says that in the book, but from the way Ursula le Guin describes the place, you can kind of tell. Each island (out of the hundreds) is its own nation, its own culture, and I really think it deserves a seat next to Lord of the Rings in terms of history and culture. Ursula paints the world so perfectly, you can almost feel yourself in it. Her description of characters, especially Ged, is unparalleled. No wonder it has the Nebula Award (best Fantasy award possible). Personally, my favourite character so far is Ged's father. He has nothing in common with his son and can barely raise enough money to feed him. He never even speaks to Ged once during the first few chapters. I like him because I can connect, as I myself do things like that on occasion, usually because something's happened. I expect Ged's father has had such an experience as well. So far, The Earthsea Quartet is definitely up there on my "favourite books of all time" list, lets just hope it stays amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment