Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gone

Title:  Gone
Author:  Michael Grant
Pages:  560

          The book I'm reading right now is called Gone and it is about a town where suddenly everyone age fifteen and older disappears.  At the same time, the author helps us understand exactly how strange the town is by introducing several characters with supernatural powers.  One girl, whose car crashes when her grandfather vanishes, gets blood infection because no one comes to take her to a hospital.  However, she somehow heals herself.  Another character was able to make a glowing light he couldn't put out through sheer will and shoot rays of power through his hand.  A third girl was killed, but she had the ability to shoot fire out her hand.  Also, the whole town somehow is covered in an impenetrable bubble so no one can get in or out.  This is a very interesting story, and it is almost as gripping as the Hunger Games was.  My mom read it before I did, and she says that it reminds her of "Lord of the Flies".  I have not finished it yet, but I can already understand why she might say that, because all the children are left to fend for themselves, and one group is trying to take control of all the other kids.  Since I have not read the whole thing yet, I can't give it a rating, but so far, I'd give it a 5/5.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you like it!!! I really agree with your mom when she said it was like the Lord of the Flies, that's what I thought. They have really similar stories, it's almost like Gone is the modernized version.

    ReplyDelete