Sunday, May 20, 2012

The City of Gold and Lead

The City of Gold and Lead
John Christopher

Science-Fiction

This is the second book in the Tripod Trilogy. The first book which I just finished is called "The White Mountains". I loved it and I know that I am going to love this book because it is going to be just as awesome as the one that came before it and the one that comes after will also be an awesome book to read, so I am really excited to read :). 
Will, Henry, and Beanpole are all safely at the White Mountains and have been training there for a while. There is these activities called the games where people compete in series's of competitions such as: boxing, sprinting, long-jumping, etc. Now these games are for people who are capped. At age 14 all children get a metal cap put onto their head where they are controlled by the Tripods. Huge, metal, creatures who have taken over the world. Whoever wins the games gets to serve the Tripods. For those who are capped this is a great privilege. For Will, Henry, Beanpole, and everyone else who lives in the White Mountains it is a way to destroy the Tripods. The White Mountains is a place where you don't need to get capped, a society of free people, and they are planning to destroy the tripods so that the world would be as it used to be with no alien invaders. One way the they thought that they could defeat the tripods was to go to the games and win them. Once they won the games they would be taken by the tripods and hopefully be able to find their weakness and to destroy most of them. 
At this point of the book the three boys Will, Henry and Beanpole have been training for the games. Some other boys have also been training. Only 3 boys were going to be chosen to go to the games. Will, Henry, and Beanpole all thought and really hoped that it would be the three of them seeing they had been so close together when coming to the Mountains. When the people were chosen it was Will....... Beanpole........and .......Fritz. Not Henry. Will and Beanpole would be going just not Henry. Instead another boy who was training. This really confused me and angered me when I read it. I kept thinking how they could not have picked Henry because they should all be together like most stories go. I keep thinking of what could happen. Maybe that something happens and that Fritz cannot go or something. There had to be something so that Henry could go. But no. Nothing has happened so far and it has really annoyed me. I am hopping that Henry is secretly following them so that he is going in a way or something. In my mind he needs to go somehow so it is really killing me that he is not going. I am going to keep reading and hopping that Henry will show up at the games somehow. I just cannot wait to solve the mix-up in my mind or if not to become sadder at the fact that Henry was completely left behind. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment