Sunday, May 13, 2012

ORR

Title: Blindness
Author: Jose Saramago
Genre: Novel
Pages: 288
Publication date: 1995

    This week I read a brilliant book which was called the "Blindness". It is a novel by Portuguese author Jose Saramago. I found that the original publication of this book was in Portuguese and translated into English. It is also known as one of the most famous novels. I got this book from a friend and he recommended this book to me because he thought that I could learn a lot from this book. 
 
    This book is about the story of an epidemic blindness affecting nearly everyone in an unknown city. The reason for this epidemic of blindness is unexplained. This novel had a lot of sad parts when most of the main characters got blind and than they went to the doctor.  The doctor's wife in this story could escape the epidemic, but others couldn't.

     What I found really interesting in this book other than the amazing story is the style that the author, Jose Saramago used. I was nearly siting all day at Saturday and reading this amazing book and I figured out that Saramago's sentences were very long and and the novel had commas take the place of periods. Also another thing that I thought about was that the setting was never named in the story which made me think. It could be Portugal because the author is Portuguese, but the country wasn't specified either. I saw some hints about the setting that it could be Saramago's homeland in Portugal because the main character is said that he is always eating chuorico, which is a kind of Portuguese food.

     I didn't finish the book yet but so far I am enjoying it. I will read it really soon and I hope I can finish the novel. I think that what makes this book amazing, is that it always has something behind and it doesn't tell you so much. It makes you think. I would really recommend this book to someone that will enjoy a novel that is kind of a mystery.

*Also named as the International Bestseller


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a good book and as though you're enjoying reading it. I think Philipp had done his first Book Report this year on this book so it must be an award winner :)

    ReplyDelete