Saturday, December 7, 2013

Title: Water for Elephants
Author: Sara Gruen
Number of pages read: 196/331

 While was reading the book this week many interesting things happened. The bull (elephant) that Uncle Al got wasn't stupid after all. The performance that it had during a parade was amazing that everyone was cheering and taking their hats off. After this Uncle Al decided that the bull should perform at the spec with Marlene. Marlene and Rosie (the elephant) didn't certainly get so well but still the performance was amazing. Unfortunately, Marlene hurt her leg a lot and needed a doctor to heal it. When August came to say how amazing Marlene was he caught Jacob's hand around Marlene trying to reduce the pain. This didn't please him much but he was able to stay calm. Soon after this Jacob finally realized how much he loves Marlene. A week later Marlene was feeling much better and Rosie finally learned how to walk properly next to August. In return August didn't harm her and hit her. Later Jacob had to be a doctor in order to help one of his friends Camel. He couldn't do much so they called a real doctor who told them that Camel had a some what paralyze from drinking. Camel was also on redlight. This meant that he wasn't getting paid so Jacob and Kinko (his roommate) had to keep him with them so he was save. My favorite part was when Marlene asked Jacob to come and see him. They talked for a while and even discussed a little about that one kiss they had. Marlene made it clear that the kiss wasn't a mistake but when Jacob reached out to kiss her again she told him to leave.

So far I think the book is good even though it can be a little confusing at times. I really liked the part when  saw Marlene's and Jacob's relationship growing even though there is still a lot they cannot do. They really have to watch out and I think that is why nothing serious except feelings are happening among them two. "I...I'm not really sure," she says. "I hardly know what to think anymore. I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I know what I'm feeling is wrong, but I just...Well, I guess I just wondered..." (195)

This passage describes Marlene's feelings about Jacob. It is clear that she likes him and has feelings for but she is just scared to break the rules, mostly scared of August and the actions he might commit. I predict that later in the story Marlene and Jacob will be together, hiding their relationship away from everyone. This might cause a big fight among both Marlene and August and August and Jacob.



No comments:

Post a Comment