Saturday, December 14, 2013

Lovely Bones 6


Lovely Bones
Alice Sebold
Mystery, thriller
328/328


I finally finished the book and this is what has happened in the last section. At the beginning Susie watches Ray and Ruth (her friends) at the sinkhole (where her body was dumped after the murder). They wonder if her Susie’s body was dumped there. She watches Fenerman (police man) go to the hospital and give her family the charm bracelet she wore on the day of the murder. That was the only evidence they had of the murder but it didn’t really help much. He tells them that after some years they finally could connect other murders to him and finally Abigail realizes that Mr. Harvey was the murderer.  Susie then watches Mr. Harvey, he had forgotten about the women/girls he had murdered but lately they have been coming back to him. She sees him driving towards her house but then when he approaches the neighborhood a policeman asks him to leave. After he left he decides to go to the sinkhole and he finally remembers that he had thrown a body there (Susie’s body). Ruth then passes out as she sees all the women he killed (she could see that because she has a special connection to the dead). As she passes out Susie takes ahold of her body as Ruth goes to heaven. Ray helps Susie stand up they kiss but he still doesn’t know that he is kissing Susie not Ruth. They go to the bike shop (Hal’s and Samuel’s bike shop) they fall asleep next to each other. Susie and Ray wake up later and she tells him to read Ruth’s journal (where she has kept track of different murders). Susie then leaves Ruth’s body and goes back to heaven. Ray listened to Susie (even though he doesn’t know its her) he read Ruth’s journal and read about the murders she wrote about. Everyone is waiting at home for Jack to come from the hospital. When he comes home they celebrate with champagne. When Abigail (Susie’s mom) gets home she immediately goes to Susie’s room so she can tell her she loves her and then goes down stairs to celebrate with everyone. Ray and Ruana join them as Samuel talks about renovating the old Victorian house with Lindsey. Then finally Susie stops watching from heaven.  I haven’t learned much in the recent reading but I have learned that the finally in a way let go of Susie’s murder, they moved on in a way and that is why Susie stopped watching. She stopped watching because she knew her family will be well and they have finally let go.  This development had affected the characters a lot in a way because they all after many years have found a way to move on, and in the last chapter of the book most of the characters in the book are all together smiling and happy for the future.


I am amazed by what I have read. I am surprised by the ending the most. I did not expect the book to end like this what so ever. I think that even though the murder didn’t get the punishment he deserved the book ended well. It is not one of those books where the author leaves you hanging at the end of the book. When you get to the end of the book you really feel the book has ended well. My recent reading has fulfilled my expectations even though I didn’t know that this would happen. In a way this is the last thing I thought would happen at the end of the book but I am glad it ended the way that it did. Since I have finished the book I don’t have expectations but I am curious what the other books will be about from the same author and I am exited to read the prologue for the next book. I am very satisfied with what I have read and I am really glad that the book has ended the way that it did even though I wanted the murder to get what he deserves for what he did I prefer this ending to the one I had planed in my head. I think that is so because the ending that I had made up is expected, but this ending is better because it is something most wouldn’t expect at the end of the book and that is why I liked it so much.

To my surprise for the first time when I finished the book I don’t have any questions. Usually when I finish book I have many questions about the end but this time that is not the case.

“And I was gone.” (Sebold 322)

This in fact is one of my favorite quotes in the book. It is the very last four words in the book. I love that quote because it represents Susie and her family finally moving on. She now let go of her family because she knows that they are all together, she will now go on to another type of heaven with no worries. Her family has let go and learnt how to finally deal with the absence of their loved one, they will now finally be able to move on with their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment