Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Christmas Carol #4

Title: A Christmas Carol
Author: Charles Dickens
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 116/126

In this chapter, we have been introduced to yet another character of the book, The Ghost of Christmas Future. The Spirit takes Scrooge and brings him to a few strange places. First, he takes him to the London stock exchange, and shows him businessmen talking about a rich man dying. Then he takes him to a pawn shop in London, where gangsters are selling belongings of a dead man. Then the Spirit takes Scrooge to the Cratchit's house, where the family is trying to get over the death of Tiny Tim. Scrooge asks the Spirit who the dead man was, and the Spirit takes him to a graveyard. He brings Scrooge to a particular grave, and he reads the name. Ebenezer Scrooge! As soon as he reads the name, he begs the Spirit to forgive him and he promises to praise and respect Christmas. With this, the Spirit disappears, and Scrooge yet again finds himself lying in his bed. I have learned that Scrooge needs to do something quickly before anything terrible happens to him or the people around him. These events have affected Scrooge because now he really wants to change and wants to make a difference.
I think that what I have read revealed a lot about the future. It shows us that if Scrooge doesn't start acting up, then things are going to go wrong, terribly wrong. My recent reading has fulfilled my expectations, because everything that I thought would happen happened. For my continued reading, I expect Scrooge to change dramatically.I am very satisfied with my reading because I love how Dickens represents dynamic characters in the book.
"'I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. I will live in the Past, Present, and the Future. The spirits of all three shall strive within me. I will not shut out the lessons that they teach. Oh, tell me I may sponge away the writing on this stone'" (Dickens 114). This passage shows us the dramatic change of Ebenezer Scrooge. From a depressed, stubborn old man, to a regretful, desperate soul. It shows us how he goes from not caring about Christmas and people to being a kind, warm blooded person. This passage delights me because it is something that every classic has. An extreme twist of events, with no warning or "DANGER" sign coming before it. This passage basically summarizes all of this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment