Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chains #4

Chains
Laurie Halse Anderson
Historical Fiction
200/300 pages read

After Isabel is branded on the side of her head with the letter I standing for "Insolence" she wakes up in the home of Lady Seymour who took care of her while she was insensible for 6 days. Isabel wants to stay and work for Lady Seymour however she still rightfully belongs to Madam Lockton and has to return to her. When she comes back to the Lockton household Madam Lockton completely ignores her and only gave orders to her through Becky. Isabel is very, very upset about Ruth and doesn't pay attention to anything that is happening around her. Curzon tries to talk to her but she is still very angry and tells him to go away because Madam wants to arrest him. While getting water at the pump Isabel hears people saying that the British will free the slaves and starts wondering it it's true and if they would help her find Ruth. When Madam sent her to buy food she decided that she would run and join the British. She tries talking to the officer but he tells her that they can only employ slaves that have run away from rebel owners because they could not interfere with the Loyalist property. After that Isabel feels completely hollow, like nothing mattered anymore. She was soon sent to Lady Seymour who needed assistance to take care of 12 soldiers who now lived at her house. The next day however when Isabel woke at Lady Seymour's house, the whole city was on fire. Isabel and Lady Seymour did get out of the house on time but she got bad injuries.They both came back to the Lockton household but the whole city was destroyed and many people died.

I think that this is a great book because even though its really sad it shows what truly happened at that time. I also really like that the author uses dialogue with words that were used in that time period to make it realistic.My recent reading has fulfilled my expectations and I can't wait to read more of the book. I think that in my continued reading Isabel will finally come back to normal after her experience and set out to find Ruth.

Quote: "Melancholy held me hostage, and the bees built a hive of sadness in my soul. Dark honey filled up inside me, drowning my thoughts and making it impossible to move my eyes and hands. I worked as a puppet trained to scrub and carry, curtsy and nod." (Anderson, 157)
This quote explains how Isabel feels after her sister was taken away from her, after spending days in prison and after being branded. This quote makes me feel very sad and angry at Madam for treating Isabel like this as if she isn't a person and doesn't have feelings. Even after all the bad things Madam has done to Isabel she just ignores her and makes her daily chores even harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment