Thursday, April 4, 2013

Up Close: Rachel Carson

Title: Up Close: Rachel Carson
Author: Ellen Levine
Genre: Biography (secondary source)
Pages: 51/224

After a lot of trial and error in picking an idol for my living history project I stumbled upon Rachel Carson, an environmentalist. I have started reading Up Close: Rachel Carson. She was born May 27th 1907, the younger of a boy and girls. Rachel has always been interested in nature, and writing. She wrote as a child small articles in The Arrow. In college she majored in English, but later on she minored in biology, and it became her new love. Rachel wrote the book Silent Springs where she discusses environmental problems and this book changed environmental laws for the better.  Though she was well known when this book was published, very few remember her name, that is part of the reason why I chose her, because she is an unsung hero.

I had many different ideas for my living history. I thought of Jane Goodall from England, Marie Curie from Poland, and Dian Fossey from  America. I think to be a true hero, they would have made sacrifices if needed for other things from plants to people, they need to do something for humanity, and they needed to have just been a nice person. Most heroes made similar decisions, they put work over themselves, if they could have gone out with their friends or studied, they would have studied. They also made many sacrifices. Also they always strongly believed in something at a young age.

A primary source that I found was her book Silent Springs:

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog post. I have never heard of Rachel Carson. After finding out about her, she sounds very interesting. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete