Thursday, April 18, 2013

Biography of the Dalai Lama.

Title: The Dalai Lama; A Biography
Author: Patricia Cronin Marcello
Genre: Biography
Pages: 173

What does it mean to be a self-actualized person?
To be a self actualized is that you know yourself and you push yourself to achieve what you know you can.
What is one unique thing you have discovered about your figure?
My person is a hero and sort of haven for Tibetan people.
Describe your figure's schooling and education.
My figure attended a monastery school on his road to being a Dalai Lama. He was chosen as a Thuben Gyatso so he attended the school, at 23 he sat down for his final exam. He graduated and passed with honors awarded him the highest degree, the leadership degree.

I haven't got very far in the book but as far as I have gone I have learned mostly about his child hood. The talks a lot about the Dalai Lama's mother. The reason for this is because it is believed that he got his kindness from his mother. It also talks a bit about his school years and the workings of how to become a Dalai Lama. What happens first is that a special monk, a tulku, has to find a boy that was born at the same day/time as the Dalai Lama. The monks will often get signals from buddha and spirits in their dreams or visions. They will then choose the boy and if he really is the reincarnation he shall pass all the tests given to him.

This book an ok book but I am going to start reading the actual biography this weekend because although this book is very detailed it is not giving me the information I need and it is not giving me the information from his perspective or even close. The writing itself isnt great either. The reason why I didn't read the autobiography in the first is because I couldn't download it or buy it so I had to wait for my iPad which my mother took to Mongolia. Sharing is great isn't it!?

2 comments:

  1. Your answers are very short but I really liked your blog post. However you could add a picture or some citation so we see what your person looks like or something :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree with the fact that your answers are very short, but your blog post was very cool. I didn't know much about Dalai Lama before, so I am really glad that I get to learn something new about him right now :)

    ReplyDelete