Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Scarlet Letter


Title: The Scarlet Letter

Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne

Genre: Classic

TASK: QUESTIONS:

1) What do you see as the most rewarding aspect of reading this book with me?
I found reading this book with you quite challenging! When you started reading it, I thought you’d read 50 pages every week, or maybe even less. But as time passed, I found myself on the 6th chapter while you finished the whole book! So, I had to stop working on my job for a while and catch up with you in order for both of us to gather our ideas and thoughts about the book. The most rewarding aspect of reading this book with you was the fact that you had many, many different ideas about the characters and the time period. You told me what you think each character symbolizes and how they react to the surroundings. I’m proud of how your reading has improved over the years and I hope we read together again in the near future! 

2) Are you happy with the choice we made for this classic novel? Why?
I’m very happy with the choice we made for this classic novel. As a girl in the 80’s, I used to love “The Scarlet Letter,” and I was hoping to read it again in my life. However, I remember thinking that some parts of the book are too slow due to excessive descriptions, but then there were time I couldn’t put it down. What drew me to it were all the romance, supernatural, guilt, and revenge, which all piled to it. Just like every novel, it has both pros and cons, which is what makes books so interesting!

3) Is there another book that you would like to read together in the future? Why would this be a good choice for us?
Many classic novels are great. I personally like romantic novels, such as “Gone with the wind” by Margaret Mitchell. That would have also been a great choice for this project! The story is set in the American Civil War and traces the life of Scarlett O’Hara and her relationships with Rhett Butler, and Ashley and Melanie Wilkes. The novel represents survival, as I remember. That novel might have been interesting to read with you, because it’s so dramatic, and we would have come up with many different ideas for it as well. Overall, it has been a great experience to read “The Scarlet Letter” with you, and I hope we get to read other great novels together as well!

1 comment:

  1. It really sounds like your mom enjoyed reading the book with you. I hoped you enjoyed it too. It also sounds like your going to be reading a few more books with her. I think that your post might be a little more interesting if you put a little bit of what happened in the book of what your read this week.

    ReplyDelete