Monday, March 19, 2012

Little Women

This week, I decided to reflect on the ending of my book, as our book reports were due on March 14th. I was actually quite surprised by the ending of my classic novel, and I was taken aback by how some of the characters ended up. Of course, I was devastated by the fact that Beth died, as she was the one who always kept peace in the family, and she was always the one who was kind and generous towards all the members of her family. It is unfortunate that she didn't settle down with someone she loved, and had a family, like the rest of her siblings. I was really happy when I read that Jo had two sons with Proffesor Bhaer, as she finally found someone with whom she shares a lot of interests, and with someone who has similar goals and expectations as she does. It was also quite interesting that she named one of her sons Teddy, possibly after Laurie, as his real name is Theodore. I found that a little awkward because Jo did reject Laurie, and made him extremely sad and frustrated. However, I am happy that Laurie and Amy ended up together. It is quite ironic though, that their daughter, whose name is Beth, is quite ill. Finally, Meg ended up marrying Laurie's former tutor, Mr. Brooke. Personally, I was quite surprised by the fact that Meg married a very poor man. When the March family lived in horrid conditions, during the war, she was always the one complaining about not being able to host fancy parties, and not having beautiful dresses. However, it is nice that she married someone she loved, and who loved her back. The ending of the book really captures the main theme of this book, which is to be grateful for what you already have, and that you can be rich without having a lot of money. It is important to value your family, friends, dreams and goals. The last scene pictures the whole family sitting around, having a picnic, saying the different things they are thankful for in their lives, which I thought was reallly inspirational, and just an overall great ending to this fantastic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment