Sunday, March 11, 2012

LITTLE WOMEN


Now that I have finished this book, I can say it was very good. The first part of the book was, as I said a little boring at first but after awhile it got very interesting.  This book is quite fast-paced and in the second part the girls are all grownup. Meg gets married to Mr. Brooke, Laurie’s tutor. There is a big wedding. Jo is off writing articles for the newspaper and has earned hundreds of dollars. Beth dies after Scarlett fever weakens her.  This is one of the most tragic parts of the book. Her sister, Amy is off in Europe with Laurie at the time and he helps comfort her after this great tragedy.  In  one part, Laurie proposes to Jo and she rebuffs him. I thought this part was very surprising because they were best friends and they seemed bound  to end up together.

Jo ends up marring a much older man who is a writer, like she. Amy then wed Laurie. I liked how this book taught you different lessons and even thought it was written in such a different time period I felt like I could strongly relate to some of the topics. My favorite character was Jo, because she always was strong and stood up for what she believed in.  I would recommend this book to girls mostly in their teens because it teaches many life lessons. Adults many find this book interesting too since my partner really enjoyed reading it again. When I first started reading this book there was a quote where Marmee is talking to the girls, “My child the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning and may be many, but you can overcome and outlive them all if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on the human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace , happiness and strength. Believe this heartily and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrows, as freely and confidently as you come to your mother," I really enjoyed this quote because it taught you something important about life.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. And was wondering if you are going to read Little Men?

    ReplyDelete