Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Joy Luck Club

Title: The Joy Luck Club
Author:  Amy Tan
Genre:  Realistic Fiction

We finished our book, and I decided that I did actually like its characters.  You have to read the whole novel to really understand and appreciate their personalities.  Each chapter give you a deeper insight into their thoughts and feelings.  I didn't realize that I liked the characters until the very end of the book.  All of them are unique and interesting in their own ways.


1.) What do you see as the most rewarding aspect of reading this book with me?
         Talking about it together and sharing our ideas about the different characters and about the stories.  Also it was great to have the impetus to read a really good book, because I wouldn't have taken the time to read it otherwise and I'm glad that we did.   

2.)  Are you happy with the choice we made for this classic novel? Why?
         I'm glad we read the book because it was interesting and enjoyable and Asian and immigrant culture were outlined vividly.  But perhaps we should have adhered more strictly to the guidelines and chosen a traditional classic.

3.)   Is there another book that you would like to read together in the future?  Why would this be a good choice for us?
         Yes, of course!  I would love to read tons more books with you.  If I had to pick a specific one, it would be The Awakening, by Kate Chopin.  This is one of my favorite books, and it would be interesting to discuss feminist issues with a female of the next generation.  I think it would also be fun to read this book together with your grandmothers, to get perspectives from three different generations.
       

1 comment:

  1. I like how you talked about how your view on the book changed throughout the reading, it shows the growth and effect this book had on you.

    ReplyDelete