Sunday, February 5, 2012

ORR

Title: The Hobbit
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Genre: Fiction
Comments: I am on page 100 of the book the Hobbit that I am reading for my book report. The Hobbit is a very interesting book because there are so many things that normally don't happen and there is a lot of magic in the book. It is also a bit confusing and sometimes I don't understand the book. For example when there are goblins around Gandalf the wizard could just kills them with some magic but he never uses it for some reason.
In the pages that I read in this book the hobbit Bilbo escaped out of the mountain of the goblins alone because he found the ring and found out its use. Bilbo finds the ring earlier in the book and does not know what to do with it so he puts it into his pockets. Then a creature called Gollum comes and wants to eat him but they make a deal. If Bilbo makes a riddle that Gollum can't guess then Gollum shows Bilbo the way out of the mountains. The ring was Gollum's and Bilbo finds out that he has his ring and that the ring is all Gollum cares about. Gollum is smart and finds out the same thing and then Bilbo has to run away. Bilbo tries the ring and gets invisible. Poor Gollum who obviously can't see the invisible Bilbo looks for him everywhere and leads Bilbo, who is following him, to the exit. Bilbo kills Gollum and escapes. Luckily he finds the wizards and the dwarfs outside of the mountain. The group has to walk on and meet a lot of wolfs. The 13 and Gandalf climb on the trees and wait. Gandalf the wizard puts branches on fire and throws them onto the wolves.

This is where I stopped. Here I can't understand either why Gandalf is throwing little branches that are on fire at the wolves. Can't he just do some magic and they would all run away?

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading The Hobbit when I was about 8 and I loved it, so keep reading it, it's confusing but very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete