Sunday, February 2, 2014

Quarter 3 Post 2 ~ Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights
Emily Bronte
Gothic fiction
97/334

1. One of the main characters that is facing conflict is Heathcliff, a boy who was adopted into a rich family; his conflict (Man vs. Man) is with his older brother, Hindley, who abuses him and treats him as a servant, and his sister Catherine and her husband.
2. Heathcliff, as a young boy, was really violent and swore revenge on his sister's husband for making a cutting remark; he also ran away from home as a result of constant abuse from his brother and finally remarks from his sister that shouldn't have reached his ears.
3. I believe that this conflict could exist these days, as there are too many dysfunctional families, with abused children and conflict.
4. If I was in this situation, I would probably have left much earlier, and not been able to stay for Catherine until she married; however it would be very hard to get away because they lived in the middle of the country, so I might confront Catherine and talk to her like Heathcliff couldn't because of his resentful and violent nature.
5. I wouldn't be able to handle the abuse- I would have to get out and far away before something worse happened to me or Catherine.

No comments:

Post a Comment