Saturday, February 1, 2014

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Blog #2

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Jules Verne
Science Fiction, Fantasy, Classic
132/279

The main character, Pierre Aronnax, is faced with an internal conflict or man vs. himself through out the first part of the book*, he is faced with the decision if he wants to escape from the submarine or stay on it and enjoy the marvels of the ocean. He is having a lot of trouble deciding and he has very little time to think about it because he is constantly being taken to go diving with Captain Nemo, his time is ticking because they are nearing the European shores and that is the only chance for escape. This type of conflict does exist in the present day but is very rare, if pirates catch someone they are faced with the decision of making a run for it but there is a chance of death. If I was still 13 years old I would escape from the submarine because there is still so much of the world that I haven't seen, if I was 40-50 years old I would stay because I would be intrigued by the ocean and its secrets, the character still hasn't made a decision. I would escape at the age of 13 because I still havent seen any of the world and lived through much, but at an older age I would stay because I've seen a lot of the outside world but not much of the ocean.

*The book is divided into two parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment