Monday, December 3, 2012

Fly girl

Author:Sherri L. Smith
Pages: 13/256
Genre: Historic Fiction

I just started reading Fly Girl. I chose to read it because I saw someone else's review on this website and I thought it sounded interesting. This book is about a black lady named Ida who just graduated high-school. All she wants to do is fly. Her father taught her how and she is very good. However this book takes place in 1969 and people were a bit racist still, but not as much as the early 1960's. The people then were more sexist, "'You can fly, no doubt about it. But no woman's gonna get a license out of me. Go home, Miss Jones. You've failed'" (Smith 5). Ida wanted a license to fly but she was refused as a pilot only because she was a lady. Ida is planning on saving her money so she can go to Chicago because, one of Ida's old friends went there and she was also black and a lady, but she got a license. I don't think Ida will go to Chicago, I think she will go back to the same place day after day, trying to get a license.

2 comments:

  1. I think so too, it's sad that some people think girls can't do the same stuff as guys :P But i'm guessing at the end of the book she will become a pilot, or?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading this book for my book report, it is so awesome, shows that girls are just as good as boys! :)

    ReplyDelete