Sunday, June 3, 2012

Salamandastron

Author:  Brian Jacques
Genre:  Fantasy

          This week, I decided to reread a book written by an author that I LOVED in 3rd to 6th grade.  The author, Brian Jacques, has a whole "Redwall" series that I have enjoyed since I first received one of his books for my 8th or 9th birthday. 
          The book I read is called "Salamandastron" and it revolves around two places:  Salamandastron and Redwall.  Salamandastron is a fortress made by an ancient volcano that has always been ruled by a badger lord and inhabited by fighting hares.  The badger and his hares protect the ocean shores from "vermin" (evil animals such as weasels, rats, stoats, and foxes).  Redwall is an abbey located in the forest far away from Salamandastron and is the home to a group of peace-loving creatures - a medley of otters, hedgehogs, mice, squirrels, and moles. 
         Salamandastron is under siege. A horde of evil animals are attacking it led by Ferahgo the Assassin, a weasel who wants possession of the mountain and the "badger's treasure".  Ferahgo has a poisoner lace every single item of food and drink inside the fortress with deadly poison.  Luckily, the hares and badger realize that the food is poisoned before they all die, but they no longer have any food or water and they have to drive off this vermin horde that outnumbers them 10-1. 
          Meanwhile, Redwall Abbey has been struck with an outbreak of Dryditch Fever - a deadly disease that can only be cured by the Flowers of Icetor that grow in the mountains, far from the abbey.  Redwall's only hope is in an otter, Thrugg, and a baby mouse, Dumble who have gone to the mountains to get the flowers. 
          The paths of Salamandastron and Redwall cross, each benefiting off of the other, and new friendships are formed. 
          I really enjoyed reading this book again, because Brian Jacques has a way of making you care about the characters so much that you cry when they die.  Even though I've read "Salamandastron" many times, I still cry when one of the characters dies because I grow so attached to them.  Also, I find the Redwall series refreshing from all the action and drama and romance that most books for teenagers contain.  The fact that there are no humans in the story is another thing that I like.  Everything takes place in forest and ocean and beaches - there are not even any human buildings in the book.  I think that anyone who likes reading about fighting but enjoys novels that are paced more slowly should try this series.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god! I remember these books from ages ago. I love them too. However, Salamandastron was one of the last ones I read before I got into Raymond E. Feist. Redwall is still one of the best books of all time, and I love how Brian Jacques tied the two together.

    ReplyDelete