Sunday, June 3, 2012

ORR

Title: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Author: Benjamin Franklin
Genre: Autobiography

This week I read a book about Benjamin Franklin. I found this book at home while I was looking for a person for my living history, but after I decided to do a tennis player and after I finished my living history project I read this book called The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I learned a lot about him in this book. 

Benjamin Franklin was born in 1706 in Boston. He was the 15th of his fathers 17 children.  He went to school as a child with the want of becoming a minister, as his father, Josiah, wanted. However,he changed his idea after he he showed a big interest in reading and writing. He was apprenticed to his brother, James at a young age, but after fighting with his brother he quit the job and moved to Philadelphia, where he worked for a man named Samuel Keimer.

One thing I really found interesting in this autobiography was that throughout the 1730s, Franklin held some minor positions doing printing work for the government. In that time, he began Poor Richard's Almanac and became postmaster of Philadelphia. 

This autobiography of Benjamin Franklin was not so bad, but it was a bit boring. I would't recommend this book to people who like to read a book with a lot of action and adventure in it, but it would suit someone who would like to sit for a while and just read about someones life. This autobiography breaks off in 1757 and is left unfinished. 

The Autobiography itself was written in three different times: 1771 in England, 1783-83 in France, and 1788 in America. If Franklin meant to complete it, he died before he got the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment