Sunday, June 3, 2012

Boy: Tales of Childhood



Title: Boy: Tales of Childhood
Author: Roald Dahl
Genre: Autobiography


'An autobiography is a book a person writes about his own life and it is usually full of all sorts of boring details. This is not an autobiography'
-Roald Dahl


This week I decided to reread a book that I've had for a while. It is called Boy: Tales of Childhood and it is basically Roald Dahl's autobiography, even if he refuses to admit it is. He refuses to admit  this is an autobiography because his definition of such a thing is when a person writes boring facts about his life. In this case, the facts and stories told in this book are far from boring. These tales are full of exciting and strange things - some funny, some frightening, but mostly, all true. To make the book even funner to read, it is packed with pictures of Roald Dahl as a child or drawings relating to the story he is recounting. There are also letters he wrote to his mother or letters he wrote and wanted to send to his teachers but then realized how bad of an idea it was! :) The tales told in this book made me want to read more and some even made me cry of laughter. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a good and easy read and I guaranty they will have a good time reading it.  


'I am totally convinced that most grown-ups have completely forgotten what it is like to be a child between the ages of five and ten... I can remember exactly what it was like. I am certain I can.'
-Roald Dahl


Here is a link to a video on youtube I found about Roald Dahl's life and the experiences that may have influenced why he wrote some of his books:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48OHQ5SlIo

2 comments:

  1. Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors. I used to read nearly all of his books when I was really small. The video was really interesting and I liked how you put it there so we could have a clearer vision of why he wrote his amazing books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Roald Dahl! I have tons of his books and I still read them sometimes just for fun. Boy is one of my favorites becuase its about him but its still funny and interesting.
    The video was great!

    ReplyDelete